This one's for the girl

For my tall daughter, the child who made me a mother, who came into the world with a face to match my own:

This is a love letter to you.


Yesterday I sat in our backyard and promised to stop telling stories about you in your presence. I know you are embarrassed when I talk about you with other people, even when the stories are praiseworthy. I see how you wish you could disappear sometimes, how it takes all the courage you can muster to say “shikamoo” and “sijambo” to these friendly Tanzanians, enamored as they are of your blond hair and blue eyes. And I know I seem callous and mean, laughing over the lovely things you do and forcing you to answer when people speak to you.


You are seven years old now but tall enough to be ten, and all too soon you will be ten and then thirteen, and believe it or not, I remember being thirteen. I remember feeling painfully self-conscious, by turns convinced that no one noticed me and everyone noticed me. I remember being mad at my own mother, stomping through the woods kicking acorns, too full of myself to understand how little I understood.

I was thirteen when I flew in an airplane for the first time, hurtling over the gaping chasm of the Grand Canyon, peering down at the Colorado River snaking through it. But you, dear daughter, have already flown in 23 airplanes, over three continents, and dipped your toes into three of the earth’s oceans. You’ve called four different houses “home” in your short life, and in every place, you've grown in maturity, in passion, and in peace. In every place, you've been a loyal friend to your peers—the kind of friend who observes everything about everyone, who makes peace in the midst of quarrels.



And you are the kind of friend who makes peace in our home. You are a playmate for your little brother and a helpmate for your little sister, and I honestly don’t know if I could have survived the last two years without you. On a recent afternoon, we were in the kitchen cooking dinner together: your brother was peeling onions, and you were chopping tomatoes, and your small sister was crying to be picked up, and I was wearily, angrily telling her that I couldn’t pick her up just then. And in your generous and sensitive way, you stepped in without being asked:  you put down the tomatoes and knife, scooped up your sister, held her for a moment, and then said, “Would you like me to read you a book?” I watched you carry her to the couch and begin to read, and I was overwhelmed with gratitude to God for you. At seven years old, you have the instincts of a 27-year-old, and the Lord must have known I needed you.


I will do my best to keep my promise, tall daughter. I will stop telling stories about you in your presence... but I will never stop being proud of you.

I give you the grace to be mad at me and feel embarrassed by me. I pray that you can forgive me my failures, even as you learn to forgive your own. And I pray that you will always know (as I did deep down, even in my childhood angst) that you are loved. You are small, and you are big. You are weak, and you are strong. You are imperfect, and you are precious. You are less and more than you think you are, for you are a beloved child of God, and in the light of his glory, you are glorious.


Comments

  1. With our first child on the way, I am so encouraged to read your post about Gloria. I have my own anxieties about raising healthy, loving children who care for others and listen to God despite all my own failings and inexperience. It's such a blessing to read about the gift that you see in you daughter! Your observations about the internal trials of feeling big and small at the same time are telling of your own insight about being a child. I've been reading several of Madeleine L'Engle's young adult fiction stories about young girl protagonists and am grateful to be reminded how hard it can be to grow up (since I feel like I'm still learning many of those lessons!). May God's peace and mercy surround you and Gloria as you grow to love and understand each other more and more. Thank you as always for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Nomie, this is so beautiful! Gloria is such a treasure. I hope that she can read this (someday? soon?) -- or that you tuck it away for an age when she'll understand what a gift she is to you... and you to her. I must admit that I have my days when I'd love to have a Gloria (instead of my beloved-but-not-maternal-in-the-least boys), but I know that God knew that you needed her. And I'm so proud of her. And of you! Hugs! ~Rachie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! How blessed we are to have these firstborn daughters whose instinct is to serve. :) And I JUST got "the look" last night from mine, when I was telling a story in her presence . . . so perhaps I will be making such a promise to her soon. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts